Saturday, February 12, 2011

Getting it wrong, my introduction to running.

An accidental runner.  My first experience with organized running was being invited to run on my high school track team as a freshman.  I was told by my coach that I ran wrong and that I had an odd gait.  Sadly, he didn't offer much more than that as a coach.  I ran in the wrong shoes apparently, and that put an early end to my high school running career, before the first season ended.  This left a bad taste in my mouth for the pursuit.  In the USAF, running caught up with me as part of the yearly fitness test.  I was required to run 1 . 5 miles as quickly as possible and to be then graded against the entire sum of personnel within the Air Force.  To my surprise, with no training, my times landed me in the top 5% of the entire USAF.  Based on these times I was asked to be a team member on a memorial relay race, where I would run one mile on the open road.  Again, with no training (the wrong way), I turned in one of the faster times, 4:54.  Each one of my PRs listed has an interesting story that goes along with it, which I'll get to.  I ran each one of those events the wrong way.  Perhaps one day I will finally get it right.  My next race is a half-marathon in May.  It is going to be interesting!  I promise you that.

4 comments:

Christi said...

I can't wait to follow your adventures to your 1/2 marathon. Where are you racing?

I am doing the OKC Memorial 1/2 marathon on May 1st. But I also run "wrong" which has resulted in constant injuries. However, that doesn't stop me.

Good luck and I love the look of your blog!

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

I do lots of things wrong myself, no wait, that's just what my wife tells me. I started running without a clue, and 11 years later, I'm still figuring it out, but improving a lot.

Ron, running the wrong way. said...

Christi:
I posted a comment in reply on the day you wrote this but it hasn't shown up. My replies seem to be working now.

I'm in for the Denver Colfax half in mid-May. There's a twist that I'll get to later.

Best of luck with your training for the OKC Memorial half!! ...and I hope it's an injury free race!

2 Slow 4 Boston:
There's a lot to learn isn't there. I started running 31 year ago... oh geez! So how is that I'm still in my 20s? :) But anyway, I stopped and I stopped again, and again. That's part of my wrong way running. I never seem to have a base. Great to hear that you are still making progress after 11 years. One of these days perhaps you won't be able to have that blog title.

Anonymous said...

I love the backdrop to your blog.